Skip directly to content

Some questions about bass for mr.Jonh mynug

• Some questions about bass for mr.Jonh mynug
    March 29, 2012 - 11:27pm

Hi, first i would like to say that, i'm only writing this because i know that you have some time off now that you have terminated the tour, i was in your concert in lisbon.
    I am a bassist, i am a beginner, and i've seen john myung video, so i have some questions, not only about the video, but other things:
    1-Do you use any pedals?
    2-i've buyed a 4 string bass, a yamaha rbx 170, and i would like to buy a 6 string bass, but not a very expensive one, something around 300€, max 450€, what do you thing is a good one?
    3-what is the secret behind tapping?
    4-for last, but not the least, in fact, this is the most important of all; i'm constructing band, but i have some difficulties making basslines, any advices'

ZMAaaBass
    Thanks, and sorry for my english. :)

ZMAaaBass's picture
on March 29, 2012 - 11:27pm

Hi, first i would like to say that, i'm only writing this because i know that you have some time off now that you have terminated the tour, i was in your concert in lisbon.
I am a bassist, i am a beginner, and i've seen john myung video, so i have some questions, not only about the video, but other things:
1-Do you use any pedals?
2-i've buyed a 4 string bass, a yamaha rbx 170, and i would like to buy a 6 string bass, but not a very expensive one, something around 300€, max 450€, what do you thing is a good one?
3-what is the secret behind tapping?
4-for last, but not the least, in fact, this is the most important of all; i'm constructing band, but i have some difficulties making basslines, any advices'

ZMAaaBass
Thanks, and sorry for my english. :)

Forum category: 
paddladd's picture

1) If you search "John Myung rig rundown on YouTube there is a video that details his whole set up.

2) The Ibanez GSR206 is a good value six string that rocks in at about 300 euros if I counted right.

3) Tapping on a bass requires some precision in the way you hit the string to even make a decent sound, and getting any speed requires huge amounts of practice. If you're a beginner I would say leave it until you've been playing a while.

4) Writing music is a very different skill to playing, so keep trying different things until you see what works well. For writing a bass part, you need to remember you're the rhythm section; JM may play all sorts of fancy bits but you need to always lock in with the drums, and in act heavier music you need to support the guitar by playing notes within their chord, probably the root.

Hope at least some of that helped :)