Skip directly to content

The spirit carries on vid

• The spirit carries on vid
    September 17, 2011 - 8:18pm

I've watched the audition video a few times now and a few things really stand out.

What a fantastically nice bunch of guys DT are. I've met many very talented pro musicians from all styles of music and there are many, many real ego fuelled ***** out there.
    But with DT the whole band just come across as genuinely great people.

Mike Mangini just lights up behind the kit. Just ignoring his amazingly massive musical talent for a moment (not very easy really :D ) as soon as he starts playing he seems to be ten times more alive. I know musicians usually feel more at home behind their instruments but he is something else!
    He also seems fantastically humble, he really wanted the job as drummer in DT and seemed overawed to get it, not what you'd perhaps expect with his playing credentials.

So not only are DT amazing musicians they are nice people too.

What a band :D

stratcat's picture
on September 17, 2011 - 8:18pm

I've watched the audition video a few times now and a few things really stand out.

What a fantastically nice bunch of guys DT are. I've met many very talented pro musicians from all styles of music and there are many, many real ego fuelled ***** out there.
But with DT the whole band just come across as genuinely great people.

Mike Mangini just lights up behind the kit. Just ignoring his amazingly massive musical talent for a moment (not very easy really :D ) as soon as he starts playing he seems to be ten times more alive. I know musicians usually feel more at home behind their instruments but he is something else!
He also seems fantastically humble, he really wanted the job as drummer in DT and seemed overawed to get it, not what you'd perhaps expect with his playing credentials.

So not only are DT amazing musicians they are nice people too.

What a band :D

Forum category: 
Hprog's picture

[quote=Lightweight]Minnemann impressed me a tad more but I definitely don't think he had the right mindset towards being their new full time drummer.

In regards to the ADTOE DVD, is there any more material in terms of the audition than what's been published on Youtube?[/quote]

Unfortunately not. I kind of had the hope of seeing more than we saw on YouTube, but that's all there is, exactly as posted.

erixdream's picture

It was a great thing that DT shared this dvd. Mike Mangini was the best choice.

In my opinion, second option was Marco, no doubt about it. Just as Jordan said, Marco made me smile quite a lot while watching the audition.

Maybe it would've been interesting to hear some other parts of the songs or a complete jam from Mike but anyway it's a great documentary.

Lightweight's picture

Minnemann impressed me a tad more but I definitely don't think he had the right mindset towards being their new full time drummer.

In regards to the ADTOE DVD, is there any more material in terms of the audition than what's been published on Youtube?

Hprog's picture

Hello there guys!

I really enjoyed the documentary and just watched it again, now on DVD, a few days ago. I agree with you all about how nice down-to-earth people DT are, and in this sense, MM ist their best choice. He does fit like a glove and really wanted the drummer position in this band, and didn't just take it like some gig.

octavarium41889's picture

mangini was the right choice for DT. No doubt about that. though i really do like Marco's drumming a lot too! and hes just a goofy kinda guy!

Canuck's picture

Yeah, the documentary was great, I had chills when they made the call to Mangini, his reaction was priceless and I couldn't be happier for the guy, he seems so genuine and down to earth, and what a talent!

Another thing in the documentary that stood out for me was in the early part, where they are interviewing Portnoy and Petrucci and Portnoy looks deflated and tired, uttering something along the lines of - sometimes things get stale, or however he put it. That scene sets up the band holding those auditions, as Portnoy's heart was clearly no longer in it. I love the new enthusiasm with the band these days, Mangini is an awesome player and their new CD is amazing. Can't wait to see them play some of it LIVE on Sept 28 in Vancouver, Canada.

Signatus's picture

My second option was Donati. Of course I´m very ok with MM, but I really, really love the way Donati plays. His work with Steve Vai, then with Planet X were simply amazing.

Even though I´m brazilian, Aquiels Priester wouldn´t fit to this kind of band. He plays something more dedicate to "fast playing" and tecnic. It´s a good drummer, but.far away from a "composer drummer", if you know what I mean.

Cya!

Soulfire's picture

I think the doco was great. The audition process in itself, IMO, was a really great way for the guys to pick a drummer, and for us to see the process. The drummers they picked were all phenomenal as well.

I was SOOO glad to see Virgil there. It's nice to see some Australian rep :P.

Don't think that we all talk like that though.. please... He has a lisp... Trust me, we aren't all as base as you think :).

Besides the fact that he was Australian, I think he would have actually been great with the band. Virgil is an amazing composer and him in Dream Theater to me is like a dream come true. But its true that his style doesn't really fit the bands older stuff, so in that sense, MM was definitely a good choice.

weezul's picture

i love that documentary and are so thankful they decided to do it. You are right, there is just something utterly wonderful about the moment you see the Genie playing, and when they call him. Man, he embodies exactly how I feel about music, and if I were to witness any less of a reaction I would have been suspect of the candidate. Here's to many more years of Dream Theater \m/