Skip directly to content

Surrounded

• Surrounded
    September 30, 2011 - 1:29pm

is the best song ever, by anyone. Period.

Such a positive, epic beautiful masterpiece of awesomeness.

The Shaman's picture
on September 30, 2011 - 1:29pm

is the best song ever, by anyone. Period.

Such a positive, epic beautiful masterpiece of awesomeness.

Forum category: 
Psygnosis99's picture

Almost any DT song can be the besr song ever ;) so much weighy and meaning lyrically, and so rich and deep sonically. Yes, Surrounded is amazing. I love the live version on the Chaos in Motion tour, JP's extended guitar solo is the most gorgeous guitar solo I've ever heard.

Wolfpacker96's picture

[quote=Obryn]That's the thing about DT...they write all these killer-riff-face-melting-epics to draw us metal-heads in, then, out of nowhere, we find ourselves singing their most heartfelt ballad-ish out loud in public.

Songs like "Surrounded" and "Far from heaven" really have that raw emotion that just stays with you long after the song is over. Like many other fans, I came for the face-melting and left with tear-streaming! I didn't know I had all these emotions to let out! no fair!

[i]now I've only habits left to break...[/i]

[/quote]

Nice sentiment Dude! I feel exactly the same way. But I guess this is why some absolutely hate DT. Too sentimental at times. But I like it!

AngelBackDTF's picture

The vocals and guitar work on the last verse are in my top 5 DT moments of all time. One of JLBs best studio performances.

SierraMark's picture

[quote=The Shaman]is the best song ever, by anyone. Period.

Such a positive, epic beautiful masterpiece of awesomeness.[/quote]

I totally 100% agree with this!

With so many great DT songs it is hard to pick just one favorite but Surrounded is it for me.

Seeing it live...there just is nothing else like it.

-Mark

DragonAttack's picture

Indeed, a terrific track, with a hint of Queen at the beginning. Someone pointed out to me last year that the synth was similar/copied from the segue/beginning of 'Father to Son' off of Queen II. Damned if they weren't correct. A couple of guitar parts in 'Fatal Tragedy' and 'Misunderstanding' made me think Brian May was in the studio each time.

JohnFrantastic's picture

I love it. I especially love the version on CiM with Sugar Mice and Mother. Awesome.

The Shaman's picture

[quote=TheVoid777][quote=The Shaman]Well, the difference is: Surrounded has those ballad elements, but the middle part is purely bright, uplifting and beautiful. There's no song like this on ADTOE and that makes me sad. [/quote]

True. But then again, there isn't really ANYTHING like the album IAW, not just Surrounded. To me, that album was unique across the entire DT collection. Yeah, SFAM has obvious hooks/references/elements, but even so, the album as a whole doesn't "sound" like IAW. There was just something different about that release that is unique and unrepeatable.

Don't get me wrong though, I love all of DT's works - IAW just stands out to me.

-Void[/quote]

Agreed.

TheVoid777's picture

[quote=The Shaman]Well, the difference is: Surrounded has those ballad elements, but the middle part is purely bright, uplifting and beautiful. There's no song like this on ADTOE and that makes me sad. [/quote]

True. But then again, there isn't really ANYTHING like the album IAW, not just Surrounded. To me, that album was unique across the entire DT collection. Yeah, SFAM has obvious hooks/references/elements, but even so, the album as a whole doesn't "sound" like IAW. There was just something different about that release that is unique and unrepeatable.

Don't get me wrong though, I love all of DT's works - IAW just stands out to me.

-Void

The Shaman's picture

[quote=Obryn]That's the thing about DT...they write all these killer-riff-face-melting-epics to draw us metal-heads in, then, out of nowhere, we find ourselves singing their most heartfelt ballad-ish out loud in public.

Songs like "Surrounded" and "Far from heaven" really have that raw emotion that just stays with you long after the song is over. Like many other fans, I came for the face-melting and left with tear-streaming! I didn't know I had all these emotions to let out! no fair!

[/quote]

Well, the difference is: Surrounded has those ballad elements, but the middle part is purely bright, uplifting and beautiful. There's no song like this on ADTOE and that makes me sad.

Obryn's picture

That's the thing about DT...they write all these killer-riff-face-melting-epics to draw us metal-heads in, then, out of nowhere, we find ourselves singing their most heartfelt ballad-ish out loud in public.

TheVoid777's picture

Agreed. 18 years ago, my wife and I danced our first dance together as a couple to Surrounded. Well, at least till the tempo picked up! It was great - the guests were all like "WTH??" We just danced and sang to each other with the biggest grins on our faces.

Ahhh yes... Still brings a tear to my eye ....

-Void

BigBunny's picture

the guitar at the end does it for me :D

Awake79's picture

Good tune, yes. Nice to see it back in the rotation this tour.