Skip directly to content

Ten Years Ago Today

• Ten Years Ago Today
    September 11, 2011 - 10:51am

Ten years ago, DT released Live Scenes from New York - with an eerily prescient cover. I've pulled my copy out of the drawer to commemorate the day in my own small way.

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.network.roadrunnerrecords.com/system/boa... [/img]

Given how the band's history has this amazing coincidence as a footnote, and how James LaBrie was actually in New York when it all went down, it seems appropriate to open a thread here about it.

What were you guys doing on 9/11 (other than rushing out to get Live Scenes, obviously).

ravenstag's picture
on September 11, 2011 - 10:51am

Ten years ago, DT released Live Scenes from New York - with an eerily prescient cover. I've pulled my copy out of the drawer to commemorate the day in my own small way.

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.network.roadrunnerrecords.com/system/boa... [/img]

Given how the band's history has this amazing coincidence as a footnote, and how James LaBrie was actually in New York when it all went down, it seems appropriate to open a thread here about it.

What were you guys doing on 9/11 (other than rushing out to get Live Scenes, obviously).

Forum category: 
Awake79's picture

I think that was probably the very first album (cd) I ever pre-ordered. Still have it, but its in rough shape, only came in a little cardboard tri-fold case.

WDADU's picture

I was ten when 9/11 happened. I was in fifth grade and near the beginning of our first class, another teacher came into the classroom told her that she needed to speak with my teacher in private. When my teacher came back, she told us what had happened. But we were ten years old; we had no idea what was happening--no idea of what the World Trade Center was and we certainly didn't know what a terrorist was. It wasn't until I got home that day and I saw the footage of the planes hitting the buildings and how closely my parents, and other relatives, were paying attention to it, and the newspaper headlines, TV specials, etc, that this was something huge.

lak89's picture

I was 12 at that time (knew nothing about DT back then), I was taking at a nap and my mum woke me up to watch the news, my life changed from that day onwards.

daveeroberts's picture

Dude, i'm listening to that very album right now!!

How incredible is James' voice in A Change of seasons, when he sings 'Im sick of all you hypocrites' to the guitar solo? Its epic. Raw power!

Disappear's picture

Nothing says "kitsch" like a 9/11 anniversary. The only thing today's coverage is missing are the plastic pink flamingos. ;)

Cecilia 's picture

I was 14 years old, a sophomore in high school. I remember walking to the bus stop, looking up and thinking what a beautiful day it was.

When the first plane hit I was in earth science. From the classroom you can see an expressway that leads to the city, there's always traffic. That day, the traffic didn't move at all, and there were nonstop sirens. A few students went over to the window, but our teacher made them sit down. We had no clue what was going on.

Later that day, and the next two days, you could smell it.

RIP