Skip directly to content

A tour idea...

• A tour idea...
    April 14, 2012 - 12:55am

With the announcement of the North American tour, and the non-announcement of an Australian tour, it got me to thinking about an idea that would be great for an innovative kind of band to consider.

Not sure how many people have heard of kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/) but it's this brilliant concept where you can put an idea up and people can elect to sponsor the idea at various levels for some sort of investment in whatever's up for grabs. So, in computer games sense, you can elect to sponsor a game for say $20 which gets you a copy of the game, $50 gets you a copy of the game plus your name in the closing credits (or something like that) up to $500 where you get a character in the game and you get a speaking part.

So, let's say DT put an Australian tour on kickstarter and give people the opportunity to express an interest.

So, something like:

$250 guaranteed first pick of a ticket plus meet & greet
    $100 might get you a guaranteed second pick of a ticket (after the $250 pick) and an "express line" entry to a signing somewhere
    $50 might get you a guaranteed third pick of a ticket (after the $100 pick) and a poster
    $20 might get you a guaranteed ticket

If the band doesn't tour, you get your money back and if the band does tour the amount you've sponsored comes off your ticket price.

I think it would be a great way for a band (or promoters) to gauge interests in certain countries that they're not sure of their popularity in. There's already a Music section in kickstarter but it's mainly used for bands to get funds for albums.

So, does anybody know anybody in DT who can get this idea to them :)

Gunga Din's picture
on April 14, 2012 - 12:55am

With the announcement of the North American tour, and the non-announcement of an Australian tour, it got me to thinking about an idea that would be great for an innovative kind of band to consider.

Not sure how many people have heard of kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/) but it's this brilliant concept where you can put an idea up and people can elect to sponsor the idea at various levels for some sort of investment in whatever's up for grabs. So, in computer games sense, you can elect to sponsor a game for say $20 which gets you a copy of the game, $50 gets you a copy of the game plus your name in the closing credits (or something like that) up to $500 where you get a character in the game and you get a speaking part.

So, let's say DT put an Australian tour on kickstarter and give people the opportunity to express an interest.

So, something like:

$100 might get you a guaranteed second pick of a ticket (after the $250 pick) and an "express line" entry to a signing somewhere
$50 might get you a guaranteed third pick of a ticket (after the $100 pick) and a poster

If the band doesn't tour, you get your money back and if the band does tour the amount you've sponsored comes off your ticket price.

I think it would be a great way for a band (or promoters) to gauge interests in certain countries that they're not sure of their popularity in. There's already a Music section in kickstarter but it's mainly used for bands to get funds for albums.

Forum category: 
comment's picture

[quote=Gunga Din]With the announcement of the North American tour, and the non-announcement of an Australian tour, it got me to thinking about an idea that would be great for an innovative kind of band to consider.

So, something like:

[/quote]

Great idea man, I hope you find an answer. Other then commenting on their news posts, this board and social media avenues. You can try and track down their PR person?? And also write to Frank Solomon Management and Road Runner Records.

Dream Theater
c/o Frank Solomon Management
P.O. Box 639
Natick, MA 01760. USA.