• train of thought
    November 16, 2011 - 3:47pm

I think this is mike portnoy at his best what do you think

tom69's picture
on November 16, 2011 - 3:47pm

I think this is mike portnoy at his best what do you think

Forum category: 
solitaryshell's picture

I tend to lean towards SFAM for MP's best work but TOT is pretty awesome. Hell everything he played with DT was awesome. And I'll say his best individual song on the drums was Glass Prison. But it's Mangini's show now, I can't wait to see what he does on the next album, I know it will be just as awesome.

americanblue's picture

[quote=tom69]I think this is mike portnoy at his best what do you think [/quote]

Agreed! Top notch on this record.

ILPower's picture

I think that his best drumming it's in Systematic Chaos, but what the hell, he does amazing things in all albums, no question about it ;)

The Count of Germfask's picture

Mike seemed to get more creative/intense with each album. Was he showing off or just getting better? I knew his days in DT were numbered when Jordan joined. If only his name had started with a J he would still be with them. Darn J mafia

Soulfire's picture

I definitely think Mike Portnoy's best performance was on Black Clouds and Silver Linings. I always loved the drumming on that album. And that has to be closely followed by Systematic Chaos. Train of Thought was still a great album for the drumming, but those two are definitely the standouts for me.

Ytsejam58's picture

I kinda avoided Train of Thought for a while, but when I listened to it again I fell in love with all the songs. The intrumentals are creative, the riffs are powerful and edgey and the whole album has "balls" It's a pretty dark album but an awesome one. I personally like honor thy father and in the name of god.