Skip directly to content

Vocal effect on Chaos in Motion = Horrible!!

• Vocal effect on Chaos in Motion = Horrible!!
    June 8, 2012 - 7:23pm

People have been commenting mixed things on Youtube about JLB's voice on Chaos in Motion. Some say he's hitting the notes really well, and some say that he sounds ridiculous. But am I the only one who notices that the entire DVD is ruined because of some horrible vocal effect that was added!?!?!

If you listen to any of the songs from the DVD, you'll hear that James sounds like an autotuned robot no matter how well he's singing the song because this effect on the mic sounds as if it is tuning his vibrato into half steps. This makes the DVD unwatchable for me.

Seriously, WHY HAS NO ONE ELSE TALKED ABOUT THIS BEFORE?!?! it sounds to me like something went horribly wrong in the recording of his voice. It makes him look really really bad, and he's one of my favorite singers ever, so I find it ridiculously frustrating. He sings these songs incredibly well, so if we could have just heard HIS voice on the DVD, it would have sounded SO MUCH BETTER.

SixdgramatichaosOnachristmasmorning's picture
on June 8, 2012 - 7:23pm

People have been commenting mixed things on Youtube about JLB's voice on Chaos in Motion. Some say he's hitting the notes really well, and some say that he sounds ridiculous. But am I the only one who notices that the entire DVD is ruined because of some horrible vocal effect that was added!?!?!

If you listen to any of the songs from the DVD, you'll hear that James sounds like an autotuned robot no matter how well he's singing the song because this effect on the mic sounds as if it is tuning his vibrato into half steps. This makes the DVD unwatchable for me.

Seriously, WHY HAS NO ONE ELSE TALKED ABOUT THIS BEFORE?!?! it sounds to me like something went horribly wrong in the recording of his voice. It makes him look really really bad, and he's one of my favorite singers ever, so I find it ridiculously frustrating. He sings these songs incredibly well, so if we could have just heard HIS voice on the DVD, it would have sounded SO MUCH BETTER.

Forum category: 

What I think it is is just not a perfectly clear recording, so maybe the highs and lows are touched up. But more importantly, it is autotuned all the way through blindly, so that if James sang a note, but just a little sharp, it would autotune up to the next note in the scale. It actually altered some melodies in Forsaken..

If they use autotune on the new DVD, it would turn it from the greatest DVD they ever put out to one of the worst. And I would be SUPREMELY disappointed as I have been anxiously waiting for it for what seems to have been forever (although it's really only been 3 months.)

VideoGeemer's picture

Indeed. Same here, I was very excited to see Scarred in that setlist, but damn, that vocal effect just butchered it. And they played it so ROCKING, too! :(

I'd have mentioned it in that thread about songs we hope make it onto the new DVD, but they haven't been playing that one this tour.

@Psygnosis99: but do you hear the horrible vocal effect?? It's in all the songs. It really ruined Scarred live, and that's one of my favorite songs. Plus James sang it so well without the effect!

Psygnosis99's picture

At first i thought you were talking about live at the budokan. That was unlistenable to me due to terrible mixing. Chaos in motion is hit or miss. Some of the songs sound fuzzy and staticy here and there, and some sound great to me.

I hope SOOOOOOO MUCH and BEG to Dream Theater that they don't make this mistake with the new DVD, because The Dramatic Tour of Events may be the best tour they've ever done!!