Skip directly to content

Warner Theater, Washington, DC, Oct 17th

• Warner Theater, Washington, DC, Oct 17th
    October 18, 2011 - 7:36am

Will start by simply saying 'Well done!!!'

7th time in attendance since 2003, 5th time for my wife. Constitution Hall in DC '08 will always be my favorite DT concert, but this one is just a whisker short of that night. She's saying tonight was her favorite.

As to Trivium, I despise cookie monster vocals, so I left the building after the first song, and did not return until intermission.

Sat first row balcony. We had the 'Pull Me Under' setlist. Other than not having 'Beneath The Surface', I preferred this one, but I won't complain about 'Far From Heaven. How nice to see John Myung sitting next to James during this. And unless I missed earlier comments....enjoyed the video to 'Dream is Collapsing'. The two tilted cube stage screens were so unobtrusive, that I forgot they were there 90% of the time. Did not interfere with the best lighting I've seen at any of their shows. The sound was also the best. I was afraid at such a small venue (capacity is 1987, and there were probably 1900 in attendance), that DT would be overloading the place as happened in Philly in '09. The level, though loud, was clear, and allowed me to remove my earplugs half the time.

The interaction between James and the crowd was 'different'. He spoke more last night than he had at my previous six shows combined. Jordan was spot on as always, Petrucci moved around more on the stage, as did Myung, and Mike is a beast!!! A smiling one at that.

When I initially saw the North American set lists, 'These Walls', 'Drum Solo/YtseJam' and 'Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy' and 'Pull Me Under' were my only reasons for going. Then I got the album. '....Backs of Angels', and 'Breaking All Illusions' were added to the list. 'Bridges In The Sky' and 'Outcry' turned out superb. 'Build Me Up...' is so much better live, since 90% of the 'telephone line' vocals are sung normally.

'Endless Sacrifice' and 'Caught in a Web'....not my favorites, but damn, they kick axe in concert.

Wish I could have seen them in Philly, since those reviewers loved it. I was part of, or simply overheard, a few conversations where fans were saying that MP made a mistake. I have to agree.

I didn't even know about DT until their co-headlining tour with Q'ryche. Some of their material I do not like at all. But I like/love a ton of it. I prefer 'I&W', 'Scenes', Six Degrees track(s), and Octavarium, start to finish . I even prefer most of FII over all but a couple TOT, Chaos, , and Clouds' offerings.

I like the new album. It gets better each day. Totally overjoyed about the concert. Loved the energy and exuberance they displayed. Guess we might get another album and tour out of the guys after all.

DragonAttack's picture
on October 18, 2011 - 7:36am

Will start by simply saying 'Well done!!!'

7th time in attendance since 2003, 5th time for my wife. Constitution Hall in DC '08 will always be my favorite DT concert, but this one is just a whisker short of that night. She's saying tonight was her favorite.

As to Trivium, I despise cookie monster vocals, so I left the building after the first song, and did not return until intermission.

Sat first row balcony. We had the 'Pull Me Under' setlist. Other than not having 'Beneath The Surface', I preferred this one, but I won't complain about 'Far From Heaven. How nice to see John Myung sitting next to James during this. And unless I missed earlier comments....enjoyed the video to 'Dream is Collapsing'. The two tilted cube stage screens were so unobtrusive, that I forgot they were there 90% of the time. Did not interfere with the best lighting I've seen at any of their shows. The sound was also the best. I was afraid at such a small venue (capacity is 1987, and there were probably 1900 in attendance), that DT would be overloading the place as happened in Philly in '09. The level, though loud, was clear, and allowed me to remove my earplugs half the time.

The interaction between James and the crowd was 'different'. He spoke more last night than he had at my previous six shows combined. Jordan was spot on as always, Petrucci moved around more on the stage, as did Myung, and Mike is a beast!!! A smiling one at that.

When I initially saw the North American set lists, 'These Walls', 'Drum Solo/YtseJam' and 'Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy' and 'Pull Me Under' were my only reasons for going. Then I got the album. '....Backs of Angels', and 'Breaking All Illusions' were added to the list. 'Bridges In The Sky' and 'Outcry' turned out superb. 'Build Me Up...' is so much better live, since 90% of the 'telephone line' vocals are sung normally.

'Endless Sacrifice' and 'Caught in a Web'....not my favorites, but damn, they kick axe in concert.

Wish I could have seen them in Philly, since those reviewers loved it. I was part of, or simply overheard, a few conversations where fans were saying that MP made a mistake. I have to agree.

I didn't even know about DT until their co-headlining tour with Q'ryche. Some of their material I do not like at all. But I like/love a ton of it. I prefer 'I&W', 'Scenes', Six Degrees track(s), and Octavarium, start to finish . I even prefer most of FII over all but a couple TOT, Chaos, , and Clouds' offerings.

I like the new album. It gets better each day. Totally overjoyed about the concert. Loved the energy and exuberance they displayed. Guess we might get another album and tour out of the guys after all.

Forum category: 
Psygnosis99's picture

Yes it's great to hear such good reviews! I've seen them twice and they're by far my favorite band for so many reasons. Can't wait to see Mangini in action finally too! They havent missed a beat! Meet and greet in Austin Oct 26th!!

Hérus's picture

I was really wanting to go to the DC show. I am in a wheelchair and when I checked where the seating was for wheelchairs it was all the way in the back of the theater. I figured with everyone standing for the concert that I wouldn't be able to see a thing. I think if they come back to the same venue next time around, I'm just going to bite the bullet and go no matter what.

Metalzen's picture

Absolutely the Best concert I've been too! Heard DT for the first time when Awake came out in '94, just happened to get it on an impulse buy cause the cover art on the cassette caught my eye. Cheesy reason to buy music I admit but I'd like to think it was fate, lol. Been my favorite band ever since.

This was my first time seeing them live and it was everything I could have hoped for and more. Dragon Attacks' review is right on, the guys were amazing and the over all experience was something I'll never forget. I too was new to Trivium but enjoyed it and cheered them on. Though it was a bit hard to hear what was going on, not knowing their songs didn't help, but it was like a wall of sound, very bottom heavy, with barely audible lyrics, which made me a bit nervous about how DT would sound. I sat in the 3rd row mid balcony, not sure how different it sounded toward the front of house on the floor level. I'm not sure why the disparity but DT sounded HUGE! I could hear everything clearly, all the nuances of the music and solos and James' singing. I was blown away, epic doesn't quite cover it.

The Warner Theater lends it self well to a very up close and personal feeling performance. It's has very rich character to it being an old vaudeville theater built in the 1920's. Located right in the heart of our nations capitol it was an awesome place to see Dream Theater! Having only every seen them live on dvd's, getting to see them in person was almost surreal.

John P, Jordan, John M, James and MM all gave jaw dropping performances, of Course I really expected nothing less! The musicianship these guys display is on a level so beyond what I've heard live in the past. Mike Mangini was absolutely brilliant, his solo was a show piece for sure and some of the things he did seemingly defied what is possible to do with one hand. I love Mike Portnoy, but Mangini leaves nothing to be desired in his performance. He truly feels like he belongs with DT imo. His reception from the fans was clearly positive, I think its safe to safe everyone loved him! The crowd was awesome, the energy in there last night was incredible. It's been a while since I've had the chance to get out to a live concert and I definitely felt at home with everyone at Warner last night, couldn't have asked for better.

I love the new album, it gets better with every spin, the song writing is masterful and very refeshing after BCaSL which lyrically was a bit subpar to me. Hearing the new material live just raises it to a whole new level. I'm looking forward to what ever they have in store for us next!

~Metalzen

EDIT: Sorry for wall of text, for reason post isn't showing the indention or separation of paragraphs as I typed it....
have tried to edit it, but will not reflecft any changes, I am at a loss....

Obryn's picture

Good to hear another great review of this tour! I'm looking forward to seeing them on the 27th in Dallas. It will be my first DT concert. Been a fan for 11 years and now have turned into a fanatic, so it's about time!