Skip directly to content

Wembley!

• Wembley!
    February 1, 2012 - 4:16pm

Anyone else really looking forward to the Wembley gig next weekend? I'm really looking forward to seeing / hearing Bridges in the Sky live!!

RobertL's picture
on February 1, 2012 - 4:16pm

Anyone else really looking forward to the Wembley gig next weekend? I'm really looking forward to seeing / hearing Bridges in the Sky live!!

Forum category: 
chromeboy2003's picture

I made the trip over for the Manchester & London shows, I loved them both, I do agree with the above post about the bass lacking but i still really enjoyed the show.

Manchester & London vids here

http://www.youtube.com/user/Chromeboy2003?feature=mhee#g/u

SteveRaven's picture

Yeah, after the stunning gig at Leeds O2 last year, we were really looking forward to the Wembley gig.

Didn't think much of the support band - the sound was far too poorly mixed.

Then on came Dream Theater.

We gave it 3 or 4 songs, then went to complain to reception about the accoustics. The woman there said 'yes it doesn't usually sound this bad' and gave us a couple of balcony tickets to see if that worked.

After giving it another two songs, we decided to give it up as a bad job and walked out, And we werent the only ones - a little congregation of 15-20 people were on the entrance plaza discussing the evenings events thus far.

To summarize - the sound was awful. No bass whatsoever - Myung may as well not have been there. From what we all worked out, the sound desk was probably manned by Mangini's mate through an Alba walkman as all you could hear were muffled drum booms. The keyboards and guitar were tinny and without substance owing to a lack of bass tones. And another point - why do DT feel the need to 'apologise' for Mangini being there? I can understand a special intro on Mangini's opening tour, but to STILL be saying at the start of the gig that 'this guy inspires us every day' is tantamount to admitting that 'this guy is however still playing with us'.

Very disappointing all round I'm afraid - sorry guys.

fb_norman_ottley's picture

@The Forsaken: I agree, DT a Wembly was awsome! and Mike Mangini's solo was excellant, Petrucci, well I'm speechless really. They all played in beautiful harmony. In my 61 yrs I've seen Cream, Hendrix, Deep purple and many others, but DT i think is about the best i have ever seen.

I also think that Perphery were ok , but like you i did not like the vocals.

I Thank the universe for Dream Theater.

The Forsaken's picture

MAN! they were amazing, Mangini's drum solo was avin it, and the whole band were so tight. Petrucci was on it big time, nothing like a live hammering guitar solo. On the backs of angels was just sublime and everything about the concert last night had panache.
The warm up band Periphery, were so so, musically pretty tight, some nice solo's here and there, but for me, the singer was weak. Not a great lover of that devil doom voice.

NickG's picture

[quote=fb_norman_ottley]yes, i can't wait for next friday, as an ageing rock fan (61) i think DT are the best rock band i have ever heard.[/quote]

Wow, that's some statement! Perhaps not far off - Zeppelin did of course have the finest body of work by any group, ever, period but and this is my point, I hardly listen to Zep anymore [although at 46 I have been listening to them for about 35 years] DT I came to late, just over 2 years ago infact and maybe because the music is still 'fresh' I listen to them all the time (I like Tool a lot also much to my wife's annoyance:) ). I saw them for the first time at High Voltage last year and thought they were bloody awesome, so can't wait for Thursday (Manchester Apollo). I'm bringing my Son-in-Law who likes rock but is a DT virgin......

fb_mohsin_lakhani's picture

hell yeah!! wembley for me!! it'll be rockin!! \m/

btw does anyone know the line up for the wembley concert?

cheers!! :)

Have a great time northy, shame you can't get to Wembly aswell.

northy's picture

Im getting there too Norman (50 this year). Manchester for me. Im a wheelchair user, the only reason to say this is that those wonderful people at the Manchester Apollo stick the wheelchair users (not many of us) on the front row.....RESULT OR WHAT!!!!. I would love to be doing the other British gigs too. Anyway, wherever you are, everybody have a great time.

yes, i can't wait for next friday, as an ageing rock fan (61) i think DT are the best rock band i have ever heard.

Frostbitez's picture

hell yeah :D