Skip directly to content

What am I in for (Boston, 10/10/11)?

• What am I in for (Boston, 10/10/11)?
    September 30, 2011 - 4:12pm

I'm a relative newbie to the DT world. I heard "Pull me Under" in the early '90s, liked it, but made the mistaken assumption that they were just another one-hit-wonder group as I never heard another radio play from them. I've thanked my now 21 year old repeatedly for re-introducing me to them a scant three years ago. I'm hooked! I'm all in! The quality of the music and the depths to which it touches me are indescribable. It's a ray of light in an otherwise mundane world! I'm very much looking forward to the show and just a bit bummed that all the "Meet and Greet" packages were gone by the time I bought tickets so I could tell the guys as much!

But enough gushing...We'll be in the first 10 rows (me, wife & 21 y/o).What are we in for? Mass sing-along (no problem)? Moshing (not so much)? Just a outpouring of raw emotion? All of the above?

Philba1966's picture
on September 30, 2011 - 4:12pm

I'm a relative newbie to the DT world. I heard "Pull me Under" in the early '90s, liked it, but made the mistaken assumption that they were just another one-hit-wonder group as I never heard another radio play from them. I've thanked my now 21 year old repeatedly for re-introducing me to them a scant three years ago. I'm hooked! I'm all in! The quality of the music and the depths to which it touches me are indescribable. It's a ray of light in an otherwise mundane world! I'm very much looking forward to the show and just a bit bummed that all the "Meet and Greet" packages were gone by the time I bought tickets so I could tell the guys as much!

But enough gushing...We'll be in the first 10 rows (me, wife & 21 y/o).What are we in for? Mass sing-along (no problem)? Moshing (not so much)? Just a outpouring of raw emotion? All of the above?

Forum category: 
yogi's picture

[quote=Hprog]It makes me so happy to read how you guys attend the DT shows with your families and stuff :) I'm 35 and don't have kids yet, but if I ever do, I hope DT will still be around so I can take my kids to the concerts.

I did initiate my 21 y/o brother into DT some 4 years ago, though. We haven't been able to see the band together, since we live in different countries now, but I'd love if if we could do that sometime.

[/quote]

Will be taking my 11 year old daughter to the show in Grand Praire,TX. My 8 year old son wants to go but it is a school night, the show is 3 hours from us and he would have to skip football practice. Anyway she is as jacked up for this concert as I am.

drop2d's picture

Amazing show last night. Excellent set... there seemed to be a new energy amongst the band. I've seen DT 4 times now - SFAM tour, PN08, PN09 and last night... this was by far the best performance. Everyone was on fire and I could not believe how well James sounded. I can't wait until they come back around again!

Hprog's picture

It makes me so happy to read how you guys attend the DT shows with your families and stuff :) I'm 35 and don't have kids yet, but if I ever do, I hope DT will still be around so I can take my kids to the concerts.

I did initiate my 21 y/o brother into DT some 4 years ago, though. We haven't been able to see the band together, since we live in different countries now, but I'd love if if we could do that sometime.

SierraMark's picture

[quote=Philba1966]Mind = Blown!

What a fantastic night at the Orpheum! We got into town just before 5:00 to grab some dinner and a beer before lining up for tickets & swag (SierraMark, did we bump into your & your 12 y/o coming down the steps from the Gov't Center Garage?). Good stuff, changed into the t-shirt when we brought the bags back to the car, no autographed band photo though. Seats were 8th row, #2,3 & 4 from the center aisle, which was the whole point! The half of Trivium we heard was very good. Amazing, amazing DT performance! It was a very structured, spot on set. The crowd had great energy.

Hopefully the come back to Boston on the 2nd leg of the tour. James hinted as such...fingers crossed! [/quote]

Philba,

Nope, that was not me, we took the T from Alewife. I totally agree with your assessment of the show, it was great. My son totally loved it.

I also hope that they will be back on the second leg. I did see a rumor someplace that maybe it would be "an evening with" in the spring. That woudl be awesome!

-Mark

Philba1966's picture

Mind = Blown!

What a fantastic night at the Orpheum! We got into town just before 5:00 to grab some dinner and a beer before lining up for tickets & swag (SierraMark, did we bump into your & your 12 y/o coming down the steps from the Gov't Center Garage?). Good stuff, changed into the t-shirt when we brought the bags back to the car, no autographed band photo though. Seats were 8th row, #2,3 & 4 from the center aisle, which was the whole point! The half of Trivium we heard was very good. Amazing, amazing DT performance! It was a very structured, spot on set. The crowd had great energy.

Hopefully the come back to Boston on the 2nd leg of the tour. James hinted as such...fingers crossed!

Jabo's picture

Damn amazing concert, so glad I decided to go. Very well put together setlist and as always, extremely well played. Everything was spot on

kenwvt's picture

John and Jordan tweeted that there will be a special guest on stage tonight in Boston. Anyone care to hazard a guess ? I'm thinking maybe one of Mangini's old bandmates in Extreme, or local guitarist Johnny A.

-Ken

Jabo's picture

I've seen DT 1-3 times each tour since Train of thought and every show is amazing. I'm trying to attend this one but am figuring out train schedules. Does anyone know how late these shows have been running this tour? last train out of south station is midnight. I'd assume it'd be out before then but just looking for some clarification.

7deg_inner_happiness's picture

Okay...It's OUR turn Boston!! I am so ecstatic to see DT for the 1st time ever tomorrow at the Orpheum with my oldest son (13 years old)! I'm happy to see so many parents and children going together...It shows how truly great ART is loved & appreciated by generations. Let's RAAAWWWKK the house for Mangini's homecoming!

SierraMark's picture

[quote=NHBobcat]I too am a relative late comer to the awesomeness that is DT, But it was a co-worker that introduced me to DT it was Train of Thought, man I was totally blown away so I had to get more =) It was quite awhile after ToT had come out so the first thing i got was the Score 20th Anniversary Tour DVD - WOW !!! mere words cant begin to describe how amazing that DVD is - IMHO the BEST live DVD ever made

I got my son hooked on DT with that DVD, so we vowed to see them live, sadly thru bad timing or whatever our efforts were thwarted so much to our excitement we were able to get tickets to the Boston show, a late Birthday present for me, my B'day is Oct. 3rd

I am very much hoping they will pull out something special with MM's triumphant return to Boston and also the band all met here at Berkley.

But i'm sure whatever they play we will not be disappointed - counting down the days and hours =)

Also I hear that DT will stay a bit after the show and chat with fans after the show, does anyone know where the busses park at The Orpheum in Boston ? My son and I would love to show our appreciation
Any info given will be much appreciated, Thanks !![/quote]

NHBobcat,

The busses park on Hamilton Street, that is the street directly in front of the Orpheum. I've seen DT at the Orpheum a number of time but have never had the chance to hang out to meet them and unfortunately this time will be no different.

Enjoy the show!

-Mark

Philba1966's picture

Got my e-mail for the package pick-up details...It looks like the setup is just outside the Orpheum Main Doors, so I believe we'll be able to bring the swag back to our car (sans the t-shirt, which is going right on!). One of the posts from the Chicago show said that as well.

For those not familiar with the venue, the Government Center Parking garage is a two-block walk away. Also, Monday's a holiday so the parking meters will be off if you can get a spot on the street. Normally we'd take the train into town, but traffic should be light.

Oh, and I'm not against moshing as such...just too old!

Wolfpacker96's picture

Now don't be slamming guys for moshing (no pun intended!). the best concert I ever went to was Metallica in Atlanta, Fulton County Statium, General Admission on the field. General Admission shows are always the best, though few and far between. Sure, there usually isn't any moshing at a DT concert, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun!

Fino3420's picture

I'll be there, from NH. Anyone know if you bought the ticket/t-shirt bundle thing through ticketmaster, if you redeem your receipt for the shirt at the show or if it gets shipped seperaely?

kenwvt's picture

I will be in Boston as well (somewhere in the front ten rows). Orpheum is great for a show, I saw G3 there a few years ago. The only thing I am worried about is carrying around the SWAG that comes with the seat package.

-Ken

thedirtyone522's picture

One thing you will not see at a DT show is moshing. The people at these shows are there to see the band, not tear people apart. I've seen DT around 9 times and only once did I see moshing (during the Gigantour....so metal crowd to begin with). There is usually one guy who gets hammered and thrown out for being an ass, but other than that be prepared to pick your jaw up off the floor at least a dozen times.

Have fun!

JamesEwt's picture

I'll also be in Boston. The orpheum is pretty cool, but a bit run down and the seats really suck.

I am excited to see the new stuff, and the classics they are bringing are really great songs. Ytse Jam .I can't wait.

Just look for the dude with the funny Dream Theater Fez. I should be pretty easy to spot.
Enjoy the show!

NHBobcat's picture

I too am a relative late comer to the awesomeness that is DT, But it was a co-worker that introduced me to DT it was Train of Thought, man I was totally blown away so I had to get more =) It was quite awhile after ToT had come out so the first thing i got was the Score 20th Anniversary Tour DVD - WOW !!! mere words cant begin to describe how amazing that DVD is - IMHO the BEST live DVD ever made

I got my son hooked on DT with that DVD, so we vowed to see them live, sadly thru bad timing or whatever our efforts were thwarted so much to our excitement we were able to get tickets to the Boston show, a late Birthday present for me, my B'day is Oct. 3rd

I am very much hoping they will pull out something special with MM's triumphant return to Boston and also the band all met here at Berkley.

But i'm sure whatever they play we will not be disappointed - counting down the days and hours =)

Also I hear that DT will stay a bit after the show and chat with fans after the show, does anyone know where the busses park at The Orpheum in Boston ? My son and I would love to show our appreciation
Any info given will be much appreciated, Thanks !!

Philba1966's picture

Thanks for the feedback all...I too am "giddy" in anticipation of Monday night. I assume you had a great night on the 4th Shadow.

As "prepwork" for the upcoming show, I grabbed my son's "When Dream and Day Unite" CD for a listen (he started me off at Images and Words)...OMG, how Awesomely 80's! I felt my old Jack Blades hairdo growing back just listening to it (yes, a Night Ranger fan too!)!!

Shame on lack of BCSL or SC...would love to have seen In the Presence of Enemies 1 & 2...epic! I'm sure whatever they share with us will be as well.

Dream Theater NH's picture

I'm a huge DT fan. This will be my 1st show. Can't wait, I've been giddy all week.

SierraMark's picture

Philba1966, I think drop2d nailed it. I've been to quite a few DT shows in Boston and a couple in NYC (RCMH and with Maiden). I will be there next week, ninth row with my 12 year old son. He has been listening to DT since he was born. I have videos of him playing his play drum set along with Mike Portnoy on the LSNY.

I am very much looking forward to bringing my son to his first DT show, these guys are the greatest!

-Mark

Wingnut1991's picture

I attended the show in LA, my 11th DT show overall and I was blown away by their set list. I went in thinking that with the addition of Mike that they would have a limited set list, and we would hear a lot of A Dramatic Turn of Events, boy was I surprised! Without giving too much away, let me just say that 8 of their 11 albums were represented in the show! In fact they didn't play anything from Black Clouds, or Systematic Chaos, so that should give you a good idea of how far back they went.

Enjoy the Show!

Shadow2222DTF's picture

Awesome story! I can't really give any true info, as I have seen DT once (when they opened for Iron Maiden last summer), but it wasn't a DT crowd.

I can't wait to see a true DT headlining show on October 4!

drop2d's picture

I will be at the Boston show as well! You are in for a relatively reserved crowd. At least that's the way it has been in the past. People who really enjoy the music and appreciate the musicianship. Of all the shows I've been too, I love the DT crowd most. No one is there just to get shitfaced and act like an idiot. They are genuinely there b/c they love this band.
You are also in for a face melting b/c these boys put on an amazing show! Have fun!!!