Skip directly to content

What DT song helps inspire you?

• What DT song helps inspire you?
    September 26, 2011 - 5:06pm

There are those days where one needs an extra jolt of inspiration. And I have found that the current DT disc is inspiring me every day I have to go to work. In the past, songs from Scenes From A Memory gave me that jolt. Any DT song that inspires you to do any kind of activity? Or is there a song that just helps you get through the day?

Jedizen07's picture
on September 26, 2011 - 5:06pm

There are those days where one needs an extra jolt of inspiration. And I have found that the current DT disc is inspiring me every day I have to go to work. In the past, songs from Scenes From A Memory gave me that jolt. Any DT song that inspires you to do any kind of activity? Or is there a song that just helps you get through the day?

Forum category: 
lak89's picture

Right now it would be This Is The Life, I just watched a fan made lyric video on youtube and it was absolutely inspiring.

Hérus's picture

When I work out I just put on "On The Backs of Angels" and play through the whole album.

Dream Theater NH's picture

I can't say enough about how DT has awed me. In 2010 though, both my mom and one of my best friends died within a couple of months of each other, and like Obryn said, The Spirit Carries On became particularly relevent to me and provided an inspirational pick-me-up.

Obryn's picture

[i]The Spirit Carries On[/i]

Those gospel singers + Theresa Thomasson (sp) are a sheer emotional and musical force!

RC Towers's picture

Greetings, this is RC, and I share my Light at this time. Numerous DT songs inspired me over the 18-19 years that I have listened to, and felt DT's music. From '94-'99, the songs that inspired me were "Scarred, Take The Time, Learning To Live, Lie, The Mirror, Pull Me Under, Caught In a Web, The Silent Man, Metropolis 1". From '99-'03, the songs that inspired me were "Home, A Change of Seasons, Trial of Tears, Hollow Years, New Millennium, Take away My Pain, Beyond this life, the spirit carries on. From '04-'10, the songs that inspired me were "Only a matter of Time, AfterLife, The Killing Hand, A Fortune in Lies, Glass Prison, Blind Faith, 6Degrees, The Answer Lies Within, Never Enough, I walk Beside YOu, As I am, This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice, The Ministry of Lost Souls, In the Presence of Enemies part 1 and 2, The Shattered Fortress, The Count of Tuscany. And NOW from '11 and Beyond, every song in "A Dramatic Turn of Events" has inspired me. As I have Grown in The Light, and continue to grow in the Light of my soul, while respecting the Dark, but only to be defined by the Light within me. May Oneness Bless Us All, As One.

Ilaria's picture

Right now I think the most inspiring song is Outcy:
[quote]We fight for what is just, for all that we believe
we fight till death or glory, fight to be set free...[/quote]
[quote]You'll never rule me now, though you may stand upon my grave[/quote]
Also, I think nothing gives you energy like Constant Motion does.

matei's picture

Yeah....back in the day it used to be The Mirror. I was young, with no direction and with a lot of frustration and tension going on in my life/head. I just remember how good it was to hear the melody/riff and how calming and full of inspiration was to hear the lyrics.... Though I know my state of mind had nothing to do with the meaning of the song (MP's battle with alcoholism), it just made me feel so powerful and full of vitality and wanting_to_do_a_lot_of_things. It was great.... Temptation, why won't you..... :-)
Nowadays is As I Am (combined with Slayer's Disciple) - everytime I just feel like hitting my boss with a hammer. I just listen to it. It's quite calming and reassuring.