Skip directly to content

What is your favorite DT album?

• What is your favorite DT album?
    September 9, 2011 - 12:32pm

Ever since my first contact with other DT fans, iv'e been wondering:

What is your favorite DT album, and why?

I think mine's Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.

why?
    except from being a masterpiece, SDOIT combines so many different ganers and music styles.
    From the melodic and harmonic 'Overture' to the epic 'Losing Time', we can feel so much powerful moments over the songs. For example: the "Goodnight Kiss" solo. I mean, i've heard it like a zillion times, and it still manages to make me shake every single time.

Beside SDOIT, there are other songs in the first CD that deserves honor.
    "Misunderstood" is one of them. I think I don't even have to explain why :)

Well, that's it. I'm really talking too much.

What about you? :)

FingerWiz's picture
on September 9, 2011 - 12:32pm

Ever since my first contact with other DT fans, iv'e been wondering:

What is your favorite DT album, and why?

I think mine's Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.

why?
except from being a masterpiece, SDOIT combines so many different ganers and music styles.
From the melodic and harmonic 'Overture' to the epic 'Losing Time', we can feel so much powerful moments over the songs. For example: the "Goodnight Kiss" solo. I mean, i've heard it like a zillion times, and it still manages to make me shake every single time.

Beside SDOIT, there are other songs in the first CD that deserves honor.
"Misunderstood" is one of them. I think I don't even have to explain why :)

Well, that's it. I'm really talking too much.

What about you? :)

Forum category: 
comment's picture

ADToE is extraordinary! When DT cuts a new album there is always an initial obsession phase. Bar none I've listened to this album more and the obsession phase has been longer. Concept albums almost seem to be in a different class. SDOIT and SFAM are right up there, but ADToE is my favorite.

DigitalMan95's picture

For me, the best album is Images and Words. It was my first Dream Theater album and it's still my favorite. Right after that comes Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and the more I listen to A Dramatic Turn of Events, the more I like it.

DeathSurvivor's picture

[quote=Trial of Tears]Images and Words

BUT...........the more I listen to ADTOE, it's moving up the list fast![/quote]

Yup. Top 4 for me are: IAW - Awake - Octavarium - ADTOE...

honduras_Dream's picture

hi, you need to ear train of thougth

honduras_Dream's picture

[quote=aneksteve]SFAM I had my top 10 printed in the UK VOICESUK magazine a few years back and it hasnt changed much since then although if it could have been a top 15 a few additions would have made the list
Steve.[/quote]

judeix808's picture

Hmm, tough one. I still gotta give Scenes From A Memory the nod here. Still floors me to this day.

alexruizgamboa's picture

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Andreas Cambrand's picture

My favorite album is [i]Scenes From A Memory[/i], there's just something about that one. ;)

My favorite DT [i]song[/i] though is [i]Octavarium[/i].

Hprog's picture

Mine is Images & Words. Despite how dated it sounds (thanks, David Prater), the album is a jewel, and DT's breakthrough. It's probably one of the best prog albums ever.

Philba1966's picture

Scenes from a Memory was my first CD and holds the sentimental #1 spot for getting me hooked...absolutely wonderful and inspire my creative side (a huge difference from my everyday Accountant life).

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is 1b (the suite is beautiful, Glass Prison is my "theme song") with Systematic Chaos as 1c (In the Presence of Enemies 1 & 2 are epic...love the exploration into the darker/heavier side).

JanneDaArc's picture

It's gotta be Awake.

With that said, A Dramatic Turn of Events is a close if not tied album to Awake for me.

JafTitan's picture

In terms of my "favourite" I would defiantly say Systematic Chaos followed closely by Train of Thought. I know a lot of people aren't particular fans of this album, but for me personally, this was the first Dream Theater album I fell in love with. I got into Dream Theater late in the game, the very first song I heard was The Dark Eternal Night (to this day it is my all time favourite DT song).

That's just personal preference. Having said that, although SC is my favourite, IMO it is not their best. That title would go either to Images and Words or SFAM. I love almost all DT, but those are just my favourites vs what I believe to be their best.

dtfanforlife3879's picture

I am not able to pick a single favorite.....so I will do my three faves

Awake (because I can relate to it so much at that time)
Train of Thought
A Dramatic Turn of Events

Countess_Of_Tuscany's picture

It has to be Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory for me, that's the album I remember listening to in the car the most when I was a wee kid. Very closely followed by Train Of Thought and Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

leSpring's picture

My favorite probably still is Train of Thought because this album actually brought me into Dream Theater at the first place. Just an epic, balls-to-the-wall, no bullshit album!

And interestingly enough, right next to ToT my favorite is actually Falling Into Infinity, weird that this one isn't mentioned anywhere on here (someone above posting a full list of all albums actually forgot to mention this one... :) )! I think FII is brillant, very diverse with brilliant songs and the most epic Trial of Tears!

But as most on here agree it's quite hard to pick a single favorite album anyway, Black Clouds, Awake and Six Degrees are just as high up in the list and ADToE is working its way up there very fast as well!

WovenDistortion's picture

Awake and Six Degrees are my all time faves. The album I heard that got me into DT was Train of Thought. ADToE is simply stunning and is easily 3rd in my ranking right now.

DecadesOfTheater's picture

My favorite Drema Theater albumn is ussually the one I'm listening to right now. But, all kidding aside, Scenes from a memory is the albumn I can [u]always [/u]listen to. There is something about the emotional content of that albumn that makes it so appealing for so many different moods. I believe the creative process used for writing that albumn produced the some of the best material Dream Theater has made. A close second would be Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

reo73's picture

AWAKE! Something about the album is just a cut above. Proggy without being indulgent, LaBrie's growly vocals are amazing, and the dark mood just oozes out of it. Plus, SDV!

Imonkeyman's picture

I would say for me it was the album "Awake." This was my first true outing with the band, and was the beginning of my love for Progressive Metal and Rock. Although I wouldn't consider this the best album they ever created, it still holds much emotion and wonderful memories for me.

Obryn's picture

Metropolis pt 2: Scenes from a Memory is a work of pure genius perfection. Since I bought it in 2001, I have been inspired to learn to play every song on guitar (which I can now play 90% of... some of those instrumental sections especially on the track "Beyond This Life" are for professionals only.) Basically, that album broke me out of the crappy music I had been living with and really turned me on to what a musician should strive to be (or strive to transcend.)

A Dramatic Turn of Events is quickly becoming my second favorite album of all time. Keep up the great work gentlemen!

matei's picture

Simply put: AWAKE!

mark55's picture

SFAM for me.

kenny-c's picture

all of them the new cd is fucken bad ass outcry build me up break me down bridges in the sky these guys never disappoinet me

Sephiros's picture

Scenes from a Memory is pretty incredible. Man when I think of each album in my mind they're all super incredible so it's hard to choose just one. Sometimes I'm in the mood for some Images and Words, and sometimes I feel like epics such as Enemies Part 2, or Tuscany or Six Degrees. It's almost impossible to just choose 1 album.

ADTOE is absolutely fantastic, I need time naturally to let it sink in fully so I know all the notes / lyrics to make a preference call including that. (which is very possible)

If I had to pick one it would be Scenes from a Memory. It just has so many epic moments for me from the opening regression, to the awesome overture, to "Back on my feet again, Eyes open to the real world!", or to the moving "linked by an endless thread" followed by the dark and mysterious fatal tragedy with it's incredible guitar / keyboard playing off one another, and then blasting you into oblivion with Beyond this Life and it's absolutely stellar solo's / jam intermission followed by the killer chorus "ALLLLLL THAT WE'VE LEARNED... THISSS TIME!!!" which then goes into some nice ballads to bring you down including the absolutely EPIC Spirit carries on with the epic cut to guitar solo "please never let your memory of me disappeaaarrr ---> guitar solo" and then the ultimate epic closing of Finally Free "as their bodies lie still! and the ending draws near! Spirits RISE through the air! All their fears disappear!"

I get excited just thinking about the album haha. But as amazing as ALL the DT albums are I have to say Scenes really is the pinnacle of my DT experience.

CrimsonStorm's picture

Scenes From a Memory! Everything about this album just SCREAMS Dream Theater and awesomeness!

6AM1225's picture

I cannot narrow it down to just one:

Images & Words
Awake
Scenes From A Memory

Sworn2Avenge's picture

For me, Images and Words holds a very special place in my heart. It pulled me through a very difficult time in my life where all hope was lost. I can pull favorite songs off of most of DT's recordings, but not all. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is musically and lyrically brilliant which for me polishes the package to a "quite shiny" lustre :) much in the same way Octavarium is as a whole.
After purchasing A Dramatic Turn of Events yesterday, one listen has me stoked, and that has not happened for an age. I don't think I've been more impressed with one listen to any DT album thus far.

BigBunny's picture

anyone else think ADTOE might eventually replace your current fav. DT album :o the more listens, the better it gets!

stratcat's picture

Its a flip of a coin between black clouds and scenes from a memory for me

X_Paragon_X's picture

6 Degrees for the reasons you mentioned above, but also Awake. Erotomania is one of the best prog instrumentals ever in my opinion. And Scarred is easily a top 10 DT song. Everything about that album is so perfect.

Pages