Skip directly to content

Why People bash JP

• Why People bash JP
    October 30, 2011 - 4:06pm

I read some people who loves guitar techniques saiyng JP is only a good guitar player technicaly.. What do you think about it?

jordan78's picture
on October 30, 2011 - 4:06pm

I read some people who loves guitar techniques saiyng JP is only a good guitar player technicaly.. What do you think about it?

Forum category: 
Chris_Timms's picture

There's no doubt that John Petrucci is a highly accomplished player. I saw him give a clinic a few years ago while DT was touring for the Systematic Chaos album and found him incredibly insightful. The man knows his stuff. To say you don't like his playing is a fair statement. I've always considered a guitarist's playing to be similar to a singers voice. You can take it or leave it no matter how skilled they are. But to say he's bad in many areas on the instrument, is an entirely different matter.....

I love the guy's playing. IMO, he gets better and better.

PeteQ's picture

I think what a lot of "critics" overlook is how a guitar player, or any musician for that matter, fits in with the rest of the band. You can be the most technically accomplished, knowledgeable player in the world but if you can't play in a group and/or tailor your playing to fit with a specific song then it's all going to waste.

For the style of music Dream Theater play then JP is the right person for the job. If you watch the video of the drummer auditions that accompanies A Dramatic Turn of Events, then you see how the balance between technical skill, improvisation and composition, as well as personality are all important criteria.

If we were talking about JP as a solo guitarist, then that would be like comparing him with Julian Bream, Paco de Lucia, etc. That's because it's a whole different game being a soloist and playing in a group.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

skildude's picture

ok so can I assume your band has 10+ hours of original music and has toured the world over and over again and have created side projects with some one the worlds most successful and talented Rock Musicians. Are you Buckethead or Jeff Beck. I think not. please sit down before you hurt yourself because you clearly are delusional.

Jorge Armando's picture

I wish, I really wish I sucked at playing the guitar as much as JP. And that'll remain to be my wish.

hbkcrj's picture

I don't play guitar, or for that matter any instrument, but I love music, and my favorite guitarist is JP, his solos are filled with so much feeling and are amazing!

Geddy Petrucci's picture

To me JP is the greatest all around player maybe ever. There are not too many things the man cannot do on a guitar. Not to mention his solos have as much emotion and feeling as any solo I have heard from anybody else, and he has wicked rythms. I think Uli Jon Roth and Vinne Moore are the only other players on his level.

likeablecoffeeguy's picture

[quote=JanneDaArc]Sigh...I just so very much hate how people will argue how one player is better than another. It is so ridiculously subjective.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. I love JP's playing as well as plenty of others.

Of course we all know John Myung is the greatest bass player of all time. :D

BigBunny's picture

[quote=Soulfire]JP is a technical player yes, but he's also capable of soulful, emotional stuff. He's more tasteful then a lot of other shredders and metal players out there, like Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, etc.[/quote]

have you heard Gilbert's ' [i]I Cannot Tell A Lie[/i]' & '[i]Feathers[/i]' by VAI? Gilbert & VAI have alot of soul and emotion. imo they are better then JP but JP is an amazing player, i just think at improvising he's not the best... at least when i saw him at a guitar clinic.

troyofyort's picture

Ive heard plenty of complaints, but it always ends with them glorifying some unknown guitarist they consider the best...

Soulfire's picture

Actually tbh I've never really heard anyone criticise JP. Even my band teacher who is very critical of guitar players being too technical loves JP. James gets slammed, Portnoy and Mangini are fought over, Jordan is complained above for playing too many notes... but to be honest i don't think i've ever heard or read any complaints about JP. So where is OP coming from??

northy's picture

JP can play all the technical stuff. Sometimes he reminds me of Dave Gilmore, who isn't that technical but still a brilliant guitarist who puts a lot of feeling into his playing. JP has the lot..

JanneDaArc's picture

Sigh...I just so very much hate how people will argue how one player is better than another. It is so ridiculously subjective.

What I will say is this: JP is my favorite lead guitarist. I am a total fan of all things DT. That aside I think that anyone that claims that any one of the members of DT is "the best at their given instrument" has an argument but will never be proven definitely right. Or wrong.

What I think that a person could reasonably say is that, at least on the level of technicality, there is no other band out there superior to DT.

To say though that JP does not have soul or this or that is just dumb. There is not a single emotion left unexplored by DT and a great deal of their music sits on the highest end of the skill curve.

Soulfire's picture

JP is a technical player yes, but he's also capable of soulful, emotional stuff. He's more tasteful then a lot of other shredders and metal players out there, like Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, etc.

troyofyort's picture

It's cos people have their own personal guitar idols....however I dont think we could truly claim who the best is but JP is definitely one of the Best :D Besides people who say he has no soul in his music obviously havent looked hard cos he has a lot of great and soulful solos like The Best of times, Breaking All Illusions and the solo in under a glass moon is one of the most perfect solos in my opniion it has plenty of technicality but doesnt feel like he's showing off. It just fits the song so well!

stratman 72's picture

There are to many ways to play the guitar, so to judge or bash a player is wrong , The Bottom Line is John Petrucci & the rest of the boys in the band are The Best at what they do !

johncal's picture

[quote=jordan78][quote][/quote]

They said JP can`t play multifingerst tapping, jazz/fusion or good improvisations[/quote]

...and I'm sure "they" couldn't do a better job at it than JP. I've seen him do all those things on youtube clips.

jordan78's picture

[quote][/quote]

They said JP can`t play multifingerst tapping, jazz/fusion or good improvisations