Skip directly to content

A year since the EVENT

• A year since the EVENT
    September 8, 2011 - 9:27pm

Its a year since Mike Portnoy left Dream Theater...He is not longer a member...But is a very important piece on the band's history....

The new Dream Theater website is such a peaceful and beautiful place so please dont start fighting about whos your favorite drummer and that kind of stuff...

Please dont write bullshit, or offensive comments...Respect for both of them :)

Constantrocko's picture
on September 8, 2011 - 9:27pm

Its a year since Mike Portnoy left Dream Theater...He is not longer a member...But is a very important piece on the band's history....

The new Dream Theater website is such a peaceful and beautiful place so please dont start fighting about whos your favorite drummer and that kind of stuff...

Please dont write bullshit, or offensive comments...Respect for both of them :)

Forum category: 
Pierre172's picture

Absolutely shocking event a year ago. I was in university when I heard the news, I didn't believe one second of it but truth is the truth..

I hope they ll do a reunion in the future.

osmosis2259DTF's picture

I remember I was just looking on facebook and I saw the MP NOTE that he was leaving Dream Theater. It took a while to get over it to be honest but when news were coming in that the band found a new drummer, then I was feeling better. Now the band is doing great and MP is doing what he wants so it's all good.

johncal's picture

I was like WTF, really surprised. I was always a big Portnoy fan, drum videos, etc., although GROTESQUE CREATURES BAHHHHTUUUL did raise an eyebrow. The growls started getting ridiculous. I don't know why he thought that fit with Dream Theater. I Don't blame the guys for letting him go / leave with their futures on the line. I'm not being disrespectful here, just stating that it was turning into an oil and water type of thing. The new album is excellent to say the least. Also,just because Portnoy was louder and more flamboyant on the albums he did, doesn't make him better. Mangini is walking a fine line respecting the Portnoy legacy for the sake of both Portnoy and the fans, keeping the original sound while adding some Mangini accents here and there. Of note, Mangini clearly is doing things Portnoy either couldn't or wouldn't have thought of along with some very "tasteful" playing. Some of his octobon rolls are mind numbing quick. Some of his playing multiple time signatures while tracking and accenting different musicians at the same time is incredible stuff. I really appreciate it being a drummer myself.

I love the new DT sound, and the Mangini fit. I don't want to see that change. I don't want any reunions and don't want to look back.I'm eternally grateful for all I learned from MP personally, and all he did to make DT what they are. I wish MP all the best in the future and hope he finds something that will fit him. Adreneline Mob just isn't that fit. OK for now, but it won't keep him happy for long.

Soulfire's picture

I remember reading someone posting about in on JR's forums on the day it happened. I was like "Nah, this guy's trolling". And then i read the link and I was just shocked. I did not see it coming at all.

But now with MM I think the band's new direction will be great.

FingerWiz's picture

For me it wasn't just the bad news, it was also about how I had found out about them.
There I was, chatting on Facebook, when suddenly I saw one of my friend's status that contained a link to the horrible news: Mike Portnoy announced that he is leaving Dream Theater.

I was really dipressed that day, and even though my friends told me: "Calm down! It's just a band!", I couldn't.
Cause you know, for us the fans DT is not just a band :)

Well, glad DT made it through without any troubles, and got an awesome new drummer :)

JayOctavariumDTF's picture

my buddy, who had just gotten into DT, texted me and told me. I will admit I had watery eyes... I mean for the later part of my teenage years DT is what kept me going... and then what we all thought was the heart and soul of the band left (it has been proven that MP wasn't the only heart n soul in DT)...

YtseTimes's picture

[quote=ChinoDTF]In was in the ICU of a hospital and I saw it on Facebook. It took a while to sink in. That might have been the constant flow of morphine though.[/quote] I guess that's better than: I saw it online at home and woke up in the ICU.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻'s picture

I wasn't really a fan then. My reaction was "Well I didn't see that coming"

docsp76's picture

I was shocked but I actually speculated it may happen after he joined the avenged Sevenfold tour.

ChinoDTF's picture

In was in the ICU of a hospital and I saw it on Facebook. It took a while to sink in. That might have been the constant flow of morphine though.

Fear_Injection's picture

I remember I was walking home from work and my girlfriend texted me about it when I found out. I was shocked and upset but since then I've come to love the current lineup of the band, Adrenaline Mob's EP was alright but I'm hoping for some better material from MP in the future (Nightmare is probably about the only A7X album I like) I want some more Transatlantic though.

Signatus's picture

I´ll tell the truth........When I saw the announcement, I cried......a lot.....I was very very sad....

I didin´t think DT will work without MP. After all, he wasn´t just a founding member, he was the soul of the band.

But time cures everything.......Mangini is a great guy (and musician) and I think the new album will really blow minds.

Someday, and I´m sure that, MP will return.........

YtseTimes's picture

I was shocked when the news came out, but the events that have unfolded in the time since have been far greater than anything I could have imagined. MP is happy, DT is rocking with a new drummer, album with great reviews on the way. Awesome.

CrimsonSunriseDTF's picture

I wasn't overly surprised, it was sad, but I think it's going to turn out for the best for everyone involved :)

Earthling2112's picture

When MP left DT I was shocked like everybody else. I remember thinking this will be a WIN, Win situation. DT will carry on without MP and still kickass. MP will carry on with his projects also.
So far looks like DT hasn't missed a step while MP is stumbling out of the gate. I know MP will still put out some quality material that I will enjoy, like TA for example. I just simpy can not listen to Adrenaline Mob, does nothing for me. I'm confident MP will release material that will "click" with me again.

dspurdy's picture

I heard the news the day before my b-day, 9-11. I'm glad I didn't get wind of it on THAT day. That day sucks enough as it is. Nice to be awaiting the new release just one year later.

Tempis Fugit

lonestarDTF's picture

I found out on my birthday, the ninth, last year. Very sad news. This year I get a new album and a concert eleven days later. Very awesome news.

There would be no DT without Portnoy, and I will always respect him.